By Elysse James
The CUSD community is invited to attend an open house event for Newhart Middle School’s new STEAM building.
The event will be held at 3 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 23, at the Newhart Middle School STEAM building, 25001 Veterans Way, Mission Viejo, CA 92692.
The new two-story building houses classrooms for Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math (STEAM) classes at the middle school. The 22,475-square-foot building was funded by Mission Viejo Redevelopment (RDA) school funds and will allow the school’s STEAM classes, which previously were scattered around the campus, to all be held in one building.
- The STEAM building houses two science labs, three science classrooms, three math classrooms, an art media/video production lab, and a CTE Lab (Career Technical Education).
- All classrooms and labs will be outfitted with the latest interactive “short throw” projectors along with an instructional audio system and wireless teacher microphone to deliver higher intelligible speech in surround sound.
- Wi-Fi bandwidth supports up to three devices per student and teacher.
- An auditorium style seating area at the entrance of the building provides a gathering place for student collaboration and creativity, as well as a viewing area with a screen, projector, and speakers for presentations.
- The entire STEAM building is equipped with an energy efficient lighting system that adjusts to daylight illumination. Classrooms and labs also have an energy efficient lighting system allowing teachers to set light levels in different areas of the room.
- Drought resistant landscaping surrounds the building with drip irrigation.
“With this new STEAM building, Capistrano Unified continues its commitment to encouraging learning in science, technology, engineering, arts, and math — all growing and crucial fields for our future,” Superintendent Kirsten M. Vital Brulte said. “We are very excited for our students and teachers to settle into this new, upgraded space.”
Join the CUSD Board of Trustees and district leadership, city officials and local dignitaries as we welcome the community to tour the new facilities.
Learn more and view the flyer here: https://newhart.schoolloop.com/file/1500178971867/1218998864154/8247658544969127241.pdf