To encourage more families to take advantage of the free breakfast meals available at school, Capistrano Unified School District schools will celebrate National School Breakfast Week during March 6-10, 2023. This year’s theme, “DIG IN to School Breakfast,” reminds the community that school breakfast provides students energy to learn.
U.S. Department of Agriculture data show that more and more students are starting their day with a nutritious breakfast in school cafeterias. The School Breakfast Program serves more than 14 million students every day. At CUSD, breakfast participation has greatly increased over the last two years. This school year, CUSD has already served nearly 1.4 million breakfast meals!
Busy weekday mornings make it a challenge for many families to find time for a healthy breakfast. Fortunately, CUSD schools offer free school breakfasts, complete with fruit and low-fat or fat-free milk, to ensure students are fueled for learning every school day. Elementary schools offer “second chance” breakfast during morning recess. Middle schools and high schools offer breakfast during passing periods and breaks. Check your school’s bell schedule for more information about when breakfast is served at your student’s school site.
Studies show that students who eat school breakfast are more likely to:
- Reach higher levels of achievement in reading and math.
- Score higher on standardized tests.
- Have better concentration and memory.
- Be more alert.
A healthy breakfast is a great way to ensure students are nourished and ready to learn. Elementary students can try new items this week at breakfast:
- Monday, March 6: Chicken Sausage Pancake Sandwich or Gluten Free Blueberry Chex Cereal.
- Tuesday, March 7: Aloha Sandwich or Gluten Free Blueberry Chex Cereal.
- Wednesday, March 8: Cinnamon Glazed French Toast Sticks or Gluten Free Blueberry Chex Cereal.
- Thursday, March 9: Pancake & Turkey Sausage Stick or Gluten Free Blueberry Chex Cereal.
- Friday, March 10: Cheesy Chorizo Bolillo or Gluten Free Blueberry Chex Cereal.
For full breakfast menus and more information, visit capistrano.healtheliving.net or follow Food & Nutrition Services on Instagram at CapoFood.