Dear CUSD Families,
Since school started on August 15, there have been two incidents of students being hit by cars coming to or leaving from school. In the interest of safety for all of our students, families, teachers and staff, we would like to remind you all of a few safety precautions to keep in mind during drop-off and pick-up each day.
- Know where the school zones and crosswalks are on your commute. School zones have a high concentration of pedestrian crosswalks, so be ready to stop frequently.
- Avoid distractions (cell phone, radio, etc.) when driving in a school zone. Be on full alert.
- Reduce your speed when traveling through school zones, as low as 10-25 MPH.
- Expect increased traffic in and around school zones, especially during drop-off and pick-up.
- Parked cars may have pedestrians passing in and out of them, and students may be playing around the school. Be prepared to stop if necessary.
- Obey crossing guards, traffic officers and law enforcement- especially on busy roadways and in parking lots.
- Obey traffic signs. Some traffic rules only apply during drop-off and pick-up times (no right turns, no left turns, no parking on certain blocks, etc.).
- Bike and E-bike riders need to practice extra precaution when commuting to school:
- Map out the route from your home beforehand, to familiarize the student with the traffic patterns and potential danger areas. Parents should occasionally accompany students on the route to practice and identify potential hazards
- Obey all speed limits, traffic signs, lights and crossing guards.
- Make sure your bicycle and all safety equipment is fully operational and safe.
- There are three classes of E-bike. Make sure you have the appropriate class for your age and skill level:
- Class 1 & 2- Anyone can ride.
- Class 3- Restricted to riders 16 years of age and older.
Try to arrive as early as possible to avoid heavier traffic and potential accidents so you are not in a rush.
Together, we can ensure that everyone has a safe commute to and from school.
Dr. Chris Brown