By Elysse James
After five weeks of preparing and distributing meals to-go from Capistrano Unified campuses, the school’s Food and Nutrition Services has served a total 118,815 meals to local children.
Last week, the district provided 30,350 breakfasts and lunches to 15,175 children, said Kristin Hilleman, Director of Food and Nutrition Services. The district is only providing lunches on Mondays and Wednesdays now, as part of an effort to decrease contact and increase convenience, she said.
Each child receives two breakfasts and two lunches on Mondays and three breakfasts and three lunches on Wednesday.
All local children are invited to receive meals from Capistrano Unified distribution sites on Mondays and Wednesdays.
The district is reimbursed for the cost of each meal by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), Hilleman said.
Any child age 18 and younger can receive the meals as long as they are in the vehicle; if children are not in the vehicle adults must hold documentation up to the window, such as a letter or email from the school showing the child is enrolled, a report card, attendance record, student ID card, or birth certificate for a child not in school.
To pick up meals, people stay in their vehicles and line up at the participating school sites. As the vehicles approach the curb, signal how many meals are needed by holding up that number of fingers. Staff then place meals on a cart next to the curb, and step away at least 6 feet before the person gets out of their vehicle to collect the food, doing their best to not touch the cart. If the cart is touched, it will be sanitized before the next meal is placed.
This keeps everyone a safe distance apart to protect both employees and families.
Meals are served between 11:30 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays.
This service takes place in the parking lot or bus lane at these participating schools:
- Carl Hankey K-8: 27252 Nubles, Mission Viejo
- Castille Elementary: 24042 Vía La Coruna, Mission Viejo
- Hidden Hills Elementary: 25142 Hidden Hills Rd, Laguna Niguel
- Las Flores Elementary: 25862 Antonio Pkwy, Rancho Santa Margarita
- Las Palmas Elementary: 1101 Calle Puente, San Clemente
- Marblehead Elementary: 2410 Via Turqueza, San Clemente
- Marco Forster Middle School: 25601 Camino Del Avion, San Juan Capistrano
- Marian Bergeson Elementary: 25302 Rancho Niguel Rd, Laguna Niguel
- H. Dana Elementary: 24242 La Cresta Dr, Dana Point
- San Juan Elementary: 31642 El Camino Real, San Juan Capistrano
- Wood Canyon Elementary: 23431 Knollwood, Aliso Viejo
Visit the Food & Nutrition Services Department website for more information.